Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Sugarloaf Peak

At 6:00AM this morning, Dave Gillanders, Patrick Moran and I began hiking by headlamp up the rutted San Juan Trail toward Sugarloaf Peak.  By 8:30, we were trying to negotiate the summit boulders whilst talking each other out of attempting stupid things.

I was hoping that Sugarloaf Peak was the picturesque pyramidal peak I've been seeing from various vantage points in the Santa Anas.  But alas, it wasn't.  That pyramidal peak (which I now know is called Old Sugarloaf, thanks to an anonymous comment below) was a mile west and 100 feet higher.

The numbers: ~13 miles, ~2400 vertical feet, 4.5 hours.

 Dave and Patrick a little after sunrise. 

 Sugaloaf Peak is on the right and Old Sugarloaf is on the left. 

 Patrick stemming between the summit boulders. 

Old Sugarloaf

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pyramidal peak is Old Sugarloaf (3,326'). It's peak trail ascends 550' to a class 1-2 scramble that leads to the peak register (red cans) and good views of Los Pinos peak to the NNE.

Sam Page said...

Thanks Anonymous!

tekewin said...

Great blog! I see your friend Patrick stemming between the summit boulders, did you guys make the leap from the lower boulder to the highest? It was a little too airy for me. I went back with a rope to get the highest summit boulder.

Wine Recipes said...

Nice bllog